HI!

Steven M. Schultz wrote:

        The problem is not mpeg2enc and probably not with the memory.

        Are you using the nvidia drivers?

nvidia:__insmod_nvidia_O ...

Yes. NVidia 6111.

Using Suse 9.0, kernel 2.4.21-266-smp4G, mjpegtools 1.6.2.

I've had a couple times when the machine (dual Athlon, good ECC
memory, running SuSE9.2) would freeze when doing an encoding. The
only way I could complete the evening's encoding was to drop out of
X (go to run level 3). Then the same commands that were freezing
the system ran to completion (and the output was not corrupted - that
was another symptom I saw, the system would not freeze but the output
would be garbage). Seems that a scrolling xterm caused enough traffic thru the nVidia module to tickle a bug.

Well, mpeg2enc was running in a shell inside a VNC session.

        I think there's a bug in the nVidia driver(s).  You might try (if it
        will work) the 'nv' module that comes with the X server.  The other
        thing to try is running the encoding session at run level 3 without
        the nvidia module active/loaded.

I'll try that and possible another NVidia driver version. Thanks!

Thomas