On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Dik Takken wrote:

I was wondering what experience you have with putting static images in DVD
movies (like creating a slide show of digital photographs and text
slides) and displaying them on a TV screen.

My experience has been to use no lines thinner than 4 pixels, preferably 6 pixel and to use a bold or semi-bold sans serif font.

So that reduces the safely usable resolution down to 144 vertical PAL pixels? I know I have seen plenty of TV commercials that contain still pictures with serif fonts and lines that look very sharp (sharper than the 144 pixel res allows, I think), and yet they do not flicker, at least not noticeably. How do they do that?

        Scaling up/down just blurs/softens the image but in the end you will
        still have problems with line lines (such as the serif fonts use)
        on interlaced displays.

How do DVD players adapt a progressive PAL movie to look good on TV? DVD movies often do contain serif fonts (during the introduction of the movie for instance), small fonts and logo's with thin lines in them (end credits). All of these things look detailed and quite flicker-free on a TV screen.

Cheers,

Dik

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ Mjpeg-users mailing list Mjpeg-users@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mjpeg-users