>>What about having a "selective median" (for want
>>of a better term) type filter.  What I'm
>>thinking is a median type filter that becomes
>>more aggressive as the overall luminance of the
>>frame / block becomes darker.
>
>I started on that, had a prototype program that
>displayed the areas that would be filtered, and
>the interest was shall we say a bit underwhelming
>so I abandoned it.

Was that y4mblackfix?  I thought the problem was
that it artifacted strangely, not that people
weren't interested.

I ask because I've got one video in my collection
that has a LOT of action in the almost-black
areas, and I'm keen to fix the problem.

What's the general idea -- if the luminance is
less than a certain value, clamp the color to
white?

Steven Boswell
ulatekh at yahoo dot com