>What I've got now is a dumb little program that
>searches for dark groups and changes them to
>white so they show up and you can see which areas
>would be filtered if the stub filter routines
>actually had some code written.  Sort of a
>'yuvplay' that can be used to see what areas meet
>the 'dark' criteria.  If you'd like a copy to
>laugh at or use as a template/startingpoint I
>could certainly do that.

Sure, I'd like to see it.

I'm seeing this artifact more in my VideoCDs than
in my DVDs.  It almost looks like the quantization
floor is set really high for MPEG-1 video or
something.  The non-dark scenes all look really
good.

What about using an edge-detection algorithm to
find the boundaries of large areas, then testing
if the large area is low-intensity before setting
it all to black?  I haven't looked into
edge-detection algorithms recently, but it sounds
good...

Steven Boswell
ulatekh at yahoo dot com