E.Chalaron wrote:
Or perhaps not? The thing you most likely are experiencing is that find
list all matches i filesystem order, which may or may not be what you want.
You may be better off with find . -name \*|sort, or, if you don't need the
recursion, simply ls *.

The recursion wont work, as find will report the directories and cat will error if you try to give it a directory.

If you want recursion you need:

find . -type f

also you shouldn't need the "-name \*" since these switches act as a filter. -name \* doesn't filter anything so can be omitted.

So between SUSE to Mandrake "find" does not behave the same way....

It is dependent on the order that the files are written to the directory.

Most of the time inode order is also alphabetical order, if there are directory nodes available when the file was created.

There are scenarios where the inode order does not match an alphabetical filename order as you have found out.

As recommanded I need to add "sort" to get it to work OK not on MDK...
ls * seems to work as well on SUSE but not on Mdk if I remember properly.

the shell expand the * to all the matching files. Some commands may not like that many arguments.

curious...

find cannot be relied upon to return files in alphabetical order, even if it does do so in most cases.

Mark