>From: Andrew Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 >Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:05:32 +0100
 >Hi Steven,
 >
 >>     Basically the 1920x1080 material is padded and encoded as 1920x1088
 >>     (since 1088 is a multiple of 16 and 1080 is not) but a value is set in
 >>     the sequence that says "only decode/display 1080".
 >
 >Yep, this would definately be the one. Now all I need to do is be nice to the
 >Firmware colleagues working on our integrated ATSC/TV chipset to get a peek
 >at some ATSC specs and we could may cook up an official mpeg2enc / mplex
 >profile ;-)

On that note:
  y4mscaler version 9.0 is now available at http://www.mir.com/DMG/

  The primary external change:  there are three new, HDTV presets ---
    ATSC_720P, ATSC_1080I, ATSC_1080P.

  The primary internal change:  ratio operations use 64-bit arithmetic,
   avoiding certain bugs in choosing sizes and scale factors, caused by
   overflow errors.

There is also a new test/sample page which demonstrates the variation
 in ringing artifacts caused by the different scaling kernels:
    http://www.mir.com/DMG/Software/step-rings-table.html

About time!
-matt m.

PS:  Perhaps I goofed up the ATSC-1080 preset --- it produces an output
     of precisely 1080 lines, no padding.

     Should the output framesize have 1088 lines, instead?
     (And if so, are the extra 8 lines *required* to be blank?
      Or does it not really matter what's in there....)