Hi Steven

>       Some of the changes Matt made in y4mscaler 9.0 were specifically aimed
>       at the problem you were having with larger frame sizes and complex
>       scaling factors.

mmm then I must have done something wrong somewhere ....

>       I've been unable to reproduce the problem.

I'm better than you : I still manage to reproduce it everyday :-)

>       I recall you  mentioned at one time that the images produced by
>       the camera were 1280x960.

Depending on the settings of my camera... No need to go so big for R8, the
grain is coming up, looks like a bag of rice...

> > >    yuyvtoy4m -w 1116 -h 832 -a 1:1 -i p -r 17:1 | \
>
>       If the files are 1280x960 then the 'cat' command should produce a
>       "raw" (headerless) stream YUYV stream
>
>       So, I simulated frames from the camera with 'y4mblack':
>       y4mblack -w 1280 -h 960 -a 1:1 -i p -x 422
>       and fed that into y4mscaler thus:
>     y4mblack -w 1280 -h 960 -a 1:1 -i p -x 422  | \
>    y4mscaler -I active=1116x832+82+64 -O sar=PAL -O size=704x576

Ha .. Ok, in fact I am now exporting most of my transfers to 1024*768 not in
PAL size. PAL videos in mpeg2 are coming from the quictime 422 1024*768

>       NOTE: Do the y4munsharp and yuvdenoise ON THE SMALLER 4:2:2 frames.
>             It doesn't make sense to denoise the large 4:4:4 frames!

Was wondering actually. I 'll make a couple of trials to see the difference.
But applying a yuvdenoise - m 4,8,8 on a grainy frame would probably help more
to reduce the grain than doing after scaling down.. Am I wrong ?

 >            It also makes sense to denoise, unsharp, yuvcorrect the DOWN
>             scaled frames.  Why correct 2 or 3 times as many pixels as
>             you are going to use? ;)

Just to make sure I have missed none of them :-)

>       There might be some work left to do on that sequence of commands
>       but I think that'll be a LOT faster than the order you originally
>       were using.

indeed :-)
Cheers and thanks a lot