On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, David Highley wrote:

> [...]

        'transcodes' implies a decode + encode cycle.  HOW ARE THOSE BEING
        DONE?

> > >   What I am almost certain that mplex is saying is that the
> > >   bitrate is too high for a DVD.
>
> When I record with mythtv I set the max bit rate to 9 Mb/s.

        With what hardware?  With what encoder?  Mythtv is not, that I recall
        (but perhaps I mis-remember what mythtv is), an MPEG-2 encoder.  IF
        that is true, then mythtv must be invoking an encoder of some kind.
        AGAIN, how/where/with-what is that encoding being done?  Is Mythtv
        capturing raw uncompressed data and encoding later - if so with
        what program and what options?  IF it is doing realtime encoding, then
        ATAIN, with what program and what options?  Is Mythtv capturing data
        from an external MPEG-2 encoder chip?  IF so then WHICH ONE?

        ALL of those would provide more detailed information tna "mythtv ...
        set bit rate to 9 Mb/s".   If Mythttv is NOT an encoder then it is
        passing that "9 Mb/s" thru to something else.  What is that something
        else?

        At this point the only advice that can be given is "try using 8 Mb/s".