Hi all. I'm pretty green when it comes to video encoding, so please be
kind :?). I want to make backups of some of my prize dvd's (my son is
almost 2 years old & I know it's a little early, but I don't want him
playing frizbie with my LOTR collection ...). I can then store the
originals in a safe place & while we can use the copies.

Under gentoo on my p4 I haven't been able to find any app that'll do
what dvdshrink under 'doze can. While I know I can run dvdshrink under
wine, I'd prefer a linux solutios. So I've hacked together a script
(attached) gleaned from serveral sources, the main being the first
post of this topic:

     http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244625

All (seems) to go well until mplex. I've tried several different
titles, all contain one of two errors:

    **ERROR: [mplex] Can't find next AC3 frame: @ 437691392 we have
    2cf9 - broken bit-stream?

    **ERROR: [mplex] MUX STATUS: Frame data under-runs detected!

The script has the various mplex options I've tried (reproduced here):

    mplex -v 0 -f 9 -o $FINAL_VIDEO-%d.MPG $SHRUNK_VIDEO $AUDIO
    mplex -v 0 -f 8 -o $FINAL_VIDEO-%d.MPG $SHRUNK_VIDEO $AUDIO
    mplex -v 0 -f 8 -r 9400 -o $FINAL_VIDEO-%d.MPG $SHRUNK_VIDEO $AUDIO
    mplex -v 0 -f 8 -V -o $FINAL_VIDEO-%d.MPG $SHRUNK_VIDEO $AUDIO
    mplex -f 8 -o $FINAL_VIDEO-%d.MPG $SHRUNK_VIDEO $AUDIO

Can someone please take a moment to give me some hints as to what I'm
doing wrong? Is it mplex, or is something further up the pipe causing
my headaches? Or is there an even better solution for dvd backups?

Thanks in advance.

--
GROG!  www         Machine-Independent, adj.:  Does not run on any
thks  (O-O)        existing machine.