On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, [ISO-8859-15] Bernhard Fr?hmesser wrote:

> I have recorded a really old Video from a VHS Tape (recorded about 25
> years ago).

        With a tape that old I'm almost positive you'll need to do some
        color correction.  Maybe PAL tapes age differently than NTSC but
        my experience has been that tapes more than a few years old need
        correction.

> The video is in really bad condition, and i have been playing around
> with the mjpegtools to improve quality but nothing was really satisfying.

        It also appears that the tape was either damaged OR the VHS deck's
        heads scratched the tape.

> So far i played around and tested a bit with yuvmedianfilter, yuvdenoise
> y4munsharp.

        sharpening is almost never a good idea with poor quality or noisy
        video.  The sharpening (edge enhancement) emphasizes the noise and
        makes the picture look worse than before.

        medianfiltering the chroma only, then using yuvdenoise with moderately
        high thresholds (-t 6,10,10 and perhaps even add -m 4,8,8) will help
        with the noise but there's not a lot to be done about the scratches
        or lines.

> I have two pictures from the source online, they are available at:...
> You can see black lines (first picture) and white lines (second ...

> Is it possible to remove or reduce these lines and do an
> overall image improvement for the whole video.

        That type of damage is not "noise" so the tools you've been trying
        to use will not be effective.  Yes, you could blur the lines out of
        existence but that would remove almost all the picture detail as well.

        You're going to need to go frame by frame with something like
        Photoshop (or the GIMP?) and fix the damaged area with a small (just
        a couple pixels whide) brush/pencil.  I think the 'healing' tool in
        Photoshop would work well but the 'clone stamp' could do nicely as
        well.    Probably want to de-interlace the video first though,
        dealing with interlaced data in graphic tools is difficult.

        IF the lines are consistently in the same place then it could be
        possible to 'automate' the process (I know Photoshop can "record your
        actions" and then play them back over a directory of images - maybe
        the GIMP can do the same thing?).

        But dealing with thousands of still frames is a pain, so a 'video
        stream' capability would be preferable.

        Are the lines in the same place during the duration of the movie?  If
        so then it might be possible to write a program to clone pixels from
        a (very) nearby location over the scratch/lines.  If you're using
        FinalCutPro there is a "clone area" plugin available from

             http://www.cgm-online.com/eiperle/cgm_screenshots_v3_e.html

        scroll down to "CGM clone area"

        The other idea is video compositing software - something like Shake

              http://www.apple.com/shake/

        (which I am told is available for linux - but I do not know if the
         price is the same as for OSX)

        could probably be programmed to do scratch/line removal.

        OR find someone to write a scratch removal filter for mjpegtools :)

        Hmmm, there is some software at Inria

        http://www-sop.inria.fr/odyssee/research/tschumperle-deriche:02d/appliu/

        that might be useful - but it's basially a library that would need
        some wrapper code to interface to a Y4M stream.