On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:19:11PM -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
>       Looks like a Gentoo problem...
>
>       I guess we can't accuse you of not providing enough information :)

Thanks for the flowers, I try :-)

> >  Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
> >  [Switching to Thread -1211328848 (LWP 6913)]
> >  0xb7e0a528 in fmax () from /lib/libm.so.6
> >  (gdb) bt
> >  #0  0xb7e0a528 in fmax () from /lib/libm.so.6
> >  #1  0xb7f2a1ec in OnTheFlyRateCtl::InitNewPict () from
> > /usr/lib/libmpeg2encpp-1.8.so.0
>
>       Ok - the program is crashing in a libc routine, specifically fmax().
>

>       According to the assembly code you provided:
>
> >  0xb7e0a528 <fmax+8>: fucomi %st(0),%st
>
>       Seems that 'fucomi' isn't supported on your cpy type.  That would
>       suggest that the fmax() in libc is using an illegal floating point
>       instruction for the Epia  cpu.

What about "fcmoveu" and "fcmovb"? Are they the cmov instructions my cpu
doesn't support? The thing is that the wiki said setting CHOST=i686..
was OK because gcc would figure out what instructions not to use when I
pass -march=c3.

>       mjpegtools does have a fmax() that it will compile and use if the
>       system does not have one.
>
>       In config.h perhaps changing
>
> #define HAVE_FMAX 1

> #undef HAVE_FMAX
>
>       will work.  On the other hand that could just result in a multiply
>       defined symol where fmax() clashes between mjpegtools and libc.

I'm going to recompile the box with CHOST=i586-.. because I if that's
the issue there's probably more breakage that I haven't found out about
yet - and I don't need that. If it doesn't help I'll try the FMAX stuff.

Thanks for you input, Steven!

Regards
Sebastian