From: Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I normally create DVDs, but occasionally the footage that I want to convert is
> very small, so this time I thought I would create an SVCD.  This didn't work
> although the same m2v and mp2 files mplexed to DVD quality without a problem
> What exactly caused the problem?
>
> mplex -f 4 flat4.m2v flat4.mp2 -o flat4SVCD.mpg

        mplex is NOT a "conversion" or encoder!

        Did you ENCODE to SVCD bitrate?  You have to specify -f 4 to
        the encoder (mpeg2enc) AND the multiplextor (mplex).

        It sounds like you took a file encoded for DVD and asked mplex
        to convert it to a SVCD.

        Won't work.  DVD frame size is 704xN or 720xN or 352xN but NOT 480xN
        (where N is 480 for US and 576 for Europe).  SVCDs are 480xN and thus
        you need to scale the data appropriately (y4mscaler) and then encode
        with -f 4.

        Once the data is successfully encoded to SVCD rate and frame size
        then mplex -f 4 will work as expected.