On Thursday 15 February 2007, Franco Iacomella wrote:
> Hi Anne,
> im using the last version of mjpegtools 1.8.0-2 in ArchLinux
> (http://archlinux.org/packages/search/?q=mjpegtools).
>
> I tried to join videos in several ways:
>
> 1- Using avimerge from transcode package:
>
> $ avimerge -i PiratesOfSiliconValley.cd1.avi
> PiratesOfSiliconValley.cd2.avi -o PiratesOfSiliconValley.avi
>
> With this i get sync problems after 30-40 mins on the output video.
>
> 2- Using lavtrans (as described in mjpegtools manual, Join Videos section):
>
> $ lavtrans -o stream.avi -f a record_1.avi record_2.avi record_final.avi
>
> With this i get the 2Gb max limit problem, obviously because lavtrans
> doesnt encode the videos, just join them in a new avi. Is possible to
> make lavtrans avoid 2gb complaining?
>
> 3- Last try with cat and mencoder:
> cat video1.avi video2.avi> tmp.avi ; mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o
> final.avi tmp.avi
>
> This way is very unstable and seems to have problem when traying to
> join more than 2 files.
>
> Because of this I want to avoid spliting and joining process, fixing
> the problem of the 2gb limit. Any idea?

I've never used any of those, only the mjpegtools tools.  What I'd do is play
each of those 1.7GB .avi files using glav (glav -p S filename.avi), making an
eli for each one, then copy and past the entries to make one .eli that plays
them all consecutively.  There may well be better ways to do it, but that's
what I'd try first.  I think that any processing that is done on an .avi can
be done on an .eli, so there shouldn't be any problems at all.

My version is mjpegtools-1.9.1-14_cvs20061009 and, as I said, doesn't have the
2GB limit.  Perhaps you could compile the 1.9 version instead of struggling
on with the 1.8 one?

Anne