On Mon, 14 May 2007, Jonathan Woithe wrote:

> Ok, I must be blind.  Ever since the issue came to light I've been watching
> for news on it but I never saw anything.

        I was referring to -q discussion in general.  It felt to me that
        have been many threads of discussion about "quality" and -q.

> >     "or so" ;)  The mmx code was rewritten/updated/modified between
> >     December 2004 and March 2005 to workaround/fix the issues with
>
> Right.  I'm blind. :-)

        Was so long ago I'd forgotten about it -  a "ls -lt" in the
        source directory refreshed my memory.

> >     Last known working mpeg2enc is RC1.  RC2 is broken.
>
> Given this I assume it's known what broke it and that it will be fixed
> before RC3 (or final) is released.  Is anyone working on it at the moment
> or is there a need for more eyes?

        As far as I know nothing's been done .  All I did was effectively
        disable the program to prevent complaints about corrupted and/or
        poor quality.

        The author/maintainer knows about it - but alas he is at a new
        job and doing a lot of coding there which doesn't leave much
        time (or inspiration) to do more coding/debug at home ;(