Hallo

Sorry but my answer might be a bit offtopic.

Florin Andrei wrote:
> It's been some years since Linux got a complete set of tools to capture,
> edit, process, author and burn SD video, from digital sources to DVD
> storage.
>
> But what is the current status of the High Def tools?
Don't know. I think the Film Elephants dream might be a good starting
point, because everything was done with open source tools.

> If I'm not mistaken, the latest dvgrab can capture an HDV stream.
Grabbing a HDTV stream with a "linux box" is possible. My satellite
receiver "Dreambox DM7000" is able to record HDTV movies, but cannot
play them back (not enough CPU power). So grabbing here in middle Europe
should work to a certain point. A new receiver from dream should be
aviable that year called Dreambox 8000, which is able to play back HDTV.
And that machine also has a linux kernel, there they include a hardrive
and a dvd burner (whatever that means).

Getting the streams using the built-in Eth interface works, and so does
the playback with unencrypted streams. Also encoding with mpeg2enc works
but it is SLOW on my machine.

> Which HD cameras are usable as an HD source for Linux? Not just with
> dvgrab, but in general.
Have you taken a look here:
http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/howto/pchdtv/

> What are the HD formats that can be used on Linux?
> What are the options for editing? (Cinelerra? Jahshaka?)
> Authoring?
No experience, sorry.

> Burning HD disks?
Still too expensive. ;)