On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Andrew Stevens wrote:

        Andrew - you're alive! :)

        Welcome back!

> - no longer doing any kind of analog video capture and so having zero use for

        I know that on at least a couple occasions I have mentioned that you
        do not need an analog capture device.  Simply rip a section from
        one of your DVDs and re-encode it.   Motion scenes and lower values
        of -q seem to tickle the bug (but the problem can appear almost any
        time).

        You might check with Bernhard Praschinger - I send him a DVD of test
        data to give to you (if he happened to drive and visit you).

> - I got rather depressed about the embarrassing state of the "grown" C++ code
> compared with my professional efforts.

        It's not as ugly as some.  But there's still time to redeem yourself
        and rewrite it into C so that the next fellow can understand it :) :)

> > this version still gives the me most satisfying results (compared
> > to other tools) in dv -> dvd conversion, it would *really* be

        It _can_ do a sericeable job BUT (and this is the huge caveat) you
        can't _trust_ mpeg2enc - you never know when the artifacting/bugs
        will show up!

> - I want to reach some kind of closure on mpeg2enc to leave it in a reasonable
> state.

        Actually I'd hope you would resurrect and do battle with, and hopefully
        drive a stake thru the hear of, the "-q" option.  Make that thing
        go away!  Please!  Specify a rate, a minimum and a maximum.  THe
        encoder should automatically, I think, adapt the quantization (-q)
        with NO help from the user except for the desired average bitrate and
        perhaps an absolute "do not exceed" value.

> Here's a deal.  If you can supply me with snippets of video where stuff is
> going wrong I'll see if I can get the half-finished stuff in mpeg2enc working

        I might have the snippet of DV data I sent to Bernhard - I'll check
        to see if I have it, otherwise you might talk to him

        THe problem, as I recall, was quite ugly when it happened - usually
        when playing with "-q"  - lower values seemed to make things worse.