the fork has around an inch of free play, then it seems to bump up against a
stopper. well the stopper is where the clutch actually starts to release, I
dont think you can release it by hand. it goes to fully released in the next
1/4" of movement. I had the same problem till I checked a working tranny. If
the hated self adjusting cable works right you should fully depress the
cable 2 or 3 times and then check to see if it releases. I taught my 3 year
old to press it while I rotated a rotor. (I love that self adjusting cable)
Good luck
Steve