I think others have tackled this swap.

Is there a kit available to swap to 'regular' seatbelts from the bottom up
seatbelts in the 91/92 GTI 16Vs?

What other years would I be looking for parts if I tried to do this kind of
swap and has anyone seen a list of all the parts needed?

Just doing a little research for a future change.

While on this topic,  anyone made any changes to enhance safety on these older
cars (besides rollcages and five point harnesses).   I was surprised to read
that airbags only add 5% or so the chances of surviving a car crash and seat
belts account for most of the safety factors in cars today.   After that each
additional item only adds single digit percentages to the survival rate.   It's
nice to know that modern cars are safer than ever but it is also good to know
that most of the safety is also available in our older cars in the form of
seatbelts.   Modern cars are also faster than every,  I wonder what effect the
current horsepower race has had on mortality rates.  I can see quite a few
hellcats causing some deaths out in the street.

Thanks,

-Larry
91 GTI 16V

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/a79a3b4b335f42bea2c98b1547709867%40MBX082-E1-VA-4.EXCH082.SERVERPOD.NET.