I checked craigslist and see people selling the 14oz cans of r12 for $25
each, so it is available for those who need it.  I took my car out for a
drive last week and found the ac compressor didn't turn on, so it is
probably time for me to add more freon, which is usually needed once a
year.  I have a large container of r12 that is maybe half full and it will
outlast my 16v easily.  I've replaced the seals in the ac system but there
is still a leak somewhere I haven't addressed.

On a related 16v note... I wouldn't be surprised if my car ends up sold
within the year.  I just don't get to drive it much anymore.  I saw this
post the other day for an 89 6v gti for sale

http://jalopnik.com/for-4-200-this-1989-vw-gti-16v-could-blow-you-down-1726090743

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CA%2BV5SC99RAqy_nurL2bHP9N6v5exG9bk0FqEyfJb1xYt8wLAEQ%40mail.gmail.com.