Hi Elrond,
[...]
The problem of distorted polygons does not only appear in the overview map, it appears at all zoom levels.
[...]

Hi,

Okay, about the DP code, I have some speculation, why it
performs bad. It's a variation on what happens for the
overview map in general.

Rounding.

Okay, let me make up an example.

[...]
The distance of b to a->c is sqrt(2)/2 (0.707), so more
than unit/2.

Yes, I think this could be very well the problem. I don't know at the moment how the coorinates are rounded at higher shift levels, but this could be a very well explanation. If this is the case, it would explain, why it occurs at all shift levels.

Get the coordinates rounded to bit size before or after the DP filter?

Regards,
Johann