I am trying to build a routable map for all of Massachusetts as a first
step towards hopefully improving the style rules slightly (some ramps on
Rt. 2 are missing from the cloudmade img and I think it's because
trunk_link is missing in the style file, but I haven't figured that out
yet).

My command line is pretty much as the one in README.example.  After
running the splitter on cloudmade's massachusetts.osm I ran:

  java -enableassertions \
    -Xmx2048m \
    -jar mkgmap.jar \
    --tdbfile \
    --gmapsupp \
    --family-id=632 \
    --overview-mapname=40000001 \
    --country-abbr="US" \
    --country-name="United States" \
    --region-abbr="MA" \
    --region-name="Massachusetts" \
    --description="OSM gdt" \
    --ignore-osm-bounds \
    --net \
    --route \
    --add-pois-to-areas \
    --remove-short-arcs \
    -c template.args > OUT.02.mkgmap 2>&1

As you can see I do have remove-short-arcs.  I think I am r1048 but will
update and try again.  I got the following errors, which I thought
--remove-short-arcs was supposed to fix.  I looked at NEW HOPE WAY, and
it is nearly a loop with very close nodes even though it is really a
simple linear alley for which two nodes would do fine.  I looked at
another one (29730871) and that looks bizarre as well:

  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=29730871

I think the ways appear multiple times due split tiles, which is fine.

The rewulting img/gmapi loads into Garmin mapmanager (mac) but RoadTrip
says it is broken and cannot be used.

So two thoughts:

  if ways are still messed up, maybe they should just be omitted?

  it would be nice to give a URL to the way instead of just the id.  I
  suspect a lot of these are messed up and should be fixed in the db
  regardless of mkgmap liking them or not liking them.

I have done sort|uniq on the actual output:

SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road NEW HOPE WAY (OSM id 11175820) contains consecutive
identical nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 29730871) contains consecutive
identical nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 30158233) contains consecutive
identical nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 30574531) contains consecutive
identical nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 30574585) contains consecutive
identical nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 30575415) contains consecutive
identical nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 9208777) contains consecutive identical
nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 9252537) contains consecutive identical
nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 9325924) contains consecutive identical
nodes - routing will be broken
SEVERE (RoadNetwork): Road null (OSM id 9563279) contains consecutive identical
nodes - routing will be broken