I searched for a complete list of all mkgmap command-line options and
  what they should do, but I couldn't find a good and up-to-date
  list. The list in the wiki is much too old.

  I would wish to have a Wiki page with all mkgmap options, their
  functionality, their usage and their status (stable, unstable...).

I have started to do some documentation update; see doc/README.* in the
sources.  There is help in the top-level README about options, and also
the options file within resources/.  I agree with others that we should
spiff up the file used for --help=options and have that be the
authoritative list, and it's on my todo list - but please don't let that
stop anyone else from sending in patches.