> On Apr 29, 2012, at 22:07, WanMil wrote:
>
>> attached patch uses precompiled sea files to generate the sea areas.
>
> Hi WanMil,
>
> Thanks for doing this. This seems like a quite promising approach. I'll try
> to test it in the next few days.
>
> Coincidentally, I noticed a blog entry from Joachim Topf, where he describes
> work on his OSMCoastline code, which extracts coastline data and renders sea
> polygons:
>
> http://blog.jochentopf.com/2012-03-07-osm-coastlines.html
>
> I don't know if any of this is relevant, especially if you are now using the
> precompiled Mapnik sea areas.

It is! Jochens blog gave me the idea to use sea information from another
source (don't reinvent the wheel :-). I tried but didn't succeed to run
Jochens new program. But it would be very good to use his new approach.
The precompiled mapnik sea files have a big disadvantage: the land areas
overlap and this has to be removed by the mkgmap precompiler. This is
very expensive and requires a long time (maybe some optimizations are
possible for that...)

WanMil