Thanks, Steve. This does the job. Getting it to disappear from the map but stay in the index made me think a bit - I have given it an icon consisting of one transparent pixel. It still pops up on mouseover in MapSource, but that is no problem.

I would like to completely remove such pois which have no proper name (and appear on mouseover in MapSource as 'woodland' or 'lake' or even 'unknown'). Is there a way to do this?

(Alternatively, how about a variant of add-pois-to-areas which only adds to areas which have a proper name, and so are useful as index entries?)

Roger