Hi,

> I can't imagine someone wanting all the languages in the map at the
> same time. Can the Garmin format even handle that?

City Navigator maps support multiple languages. Street names change, when you change language settings in GPS. For example, if you use German, then street name is "Waldheimer Weg" but in Italian you see "Via Villa del Bosco". I have found this example in South Tyrol–Trentino region.

Not possible with mkgmap but you can add multiple labels to a street and all should be included in search index. I think in most cases we could put stopwords for 2-3 languages. For case above, we can set both "via" and "weg" as stopwords in Italy.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej