Hi

I tried to find out why splitter uses the bounding box provided in the file.

The feature was added by Chris Miller with splitter release 102 with
this comment:

"Added support for the <bounds/> tag in OSM files. Also added a
--status-freq parameter to periodically display status information."

I searched the archives to find out why this was done but found no hint,
can anybody remember what problem

he wanted to solve ?

I expect it was just implemented for completeness.  I have a file from
slightly earlier and it has a <bound> tag rather than a <bounds> tag.
So <bounds> was probably newish around that time, I don't recall where
it came from.

..Steve