Hi,

I like your ideas about is_in and urban areas. But I have doubts about practical results. IMO areas like landuse=residential or place=city/town aren't mapped well in OSM data. So even if you add some new features to mkgmap, it won't be useful, because input data is not precise.

Some consideration about urban area. I think using buildings or house numbers as indication of urban area won't be reliable. Mostly because these are data from imports, so some cities get them while others still do without. Probably highway's junctions (crossroads) could be the best indication of urban area. Roads are usually mapped correctly and number of junctions shows complexity of road network.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej