Hi Karl,

> But how about creating indices (--net, --index, --split-name-index,
> --road-name-config=filename)?

--net is about putting address data into *.img tiles, so this is your step 2. Others are about creating index file *_mdr.img, this is done in step 3.

> How about using the same tiles, but applying different TYP to each
> created gmapsupp.img?

TYP is combined with *.img, you do it in step 3. You can add any TYP to any set of *img. Technically TYP is linked to img by FID/ProductCode and family-id/product-id. Probably mkgmap fills FID/PID into TYP file in step 3, but I have no experience with this process.

> It would be great if documentation could give some hints to when the
> various options are applied or when they can be best applied.

You can simply create a config file with all options and use it in all stages.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej