I think my strategy is going to be something like this:

* Bind first method encountered straight through with a new GWT
* Upon encountering nth new method, rebuild GWT chain to check first,
second, nth PIC-style
* For some N encountered methods, failover to a simple IC

Some variation of these (profiling GWT misses versus hits, direct call
+ IC chain, etc) should work around the GWT creation overhead.

I suppose you could pre-create GWTs, but that seems more cumbersome
since in many/most cases the test will be time-sensitive (e.g. in
JRuby where it's based on the current "generation" of a class, which
will change over time).

For monomorphic, GWT + direct handle will certainly be faster than
CachingCallSite. For some N-morphic, a GWT "PIC chain" will still be
faster than CCS. And then the failover should be no slower than CCS.
Not a bad trade-off.

- Charlie