On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:25 AM, Mark Roos wrote:

> So I ran some tests using a simple benchmark using the jdk8-b23 from the
> Openjdk google code.
>
> Without tiered compile I get:  ( times in nanoseconds )
> 52101000
> 53973000
> 20932000
>
> with tiered on
> 493788000
> 521448000
> 513287000
> 342930000
> 15048000
>
> But if I invalidate all call sites before the benchmark with tiered I see:
>
> 449127000
> 288584000
> 80717000
> 36255000
>
> and without tiered
> 49210000
> 744625000
> 27179000
> 26377000
> 24514000
>
> in all cases more runs after show no changes for 30 runs.
>
> So tiered starts very very very  slow but ends better.  Both seem to have a
> hard time if call sites have their
> targets reset.
>
> any thoughts on how I might get the best always? Especially for callsite
> resets.

What exactly do you mean by "invalidate call sites before the benchmark"?  Are
you using MutableCallSites and call setTarget on them?

>  And why would the startup be 10x slower for tiered?

Good question.  The run times are long enough (around 0.5s) that a C2 compile
should happen in the first runs.  But maybe I'm wrong.

Igor, do you have an idea?

-- Chris