That's "the inlining problem" that Cliff Click was talking about [1], right?

I wonder how well the new interpreter design in Graal would handle this
kind of case, since it's supposed to have picked the good parts from
trace-based compilation, but without actually having to do tracing. Can't
wait to see more details of it at this year's JVM Language Summit.

- Kris

[1]:
http://www.azulsystems.com/blog/cliff/2011-04-04-fixing-the-inlining-problem