On Aug 21, 2012, at 2:00 AM, "MacGregor, Duncan (GE Energy)"
<duncan.macgre...@ge.com> wrote:

> On 20/08/2012 20:47, "Christian Thalinger"
> <christian.thalin...@oracle.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 20, 2012, at 12:02 PM, "MacGregor, Duncan (GE Energy)"
>> <duncan.macgre...@ge.com> wrote:
>>
>>> While trying to do some minor performance tuning on how we handle
>>> multiple return results I've finally managed to consistently provoke a
>>> performance cliff in our benchmarks. Logging compilation I see that the
>>> method in question is compiled a couple of times and then produces a
>>>
>>> COMPILE SKIPPED: out of nodes before macro expansion (not retry able)
>>
>> What JDK version are you seeing this problem with?
>
> JDK 1.7.0 update 4, hotspot 23.0.b21

I see.  Honestly I never saw this before with JSR 292 code but I have an idea
why this is happening.  It is a performance cliff but a different one than the
one we were always talking about.  This might also hit us in the new
implementation.  At least now until we revisited our inlining.

Could you try to run this with the latest JDK 8 b52:

http://jdk8.java.net/download.html

That is the first JDK 8 build that contains our new JSR 292 implementation.

-- Chris