Am 04.03.2015 12:00, schrieb Julien Ponge:
Hello,

I echo Jochen's griefs on constructors. There are cases of dynamic subclassing
or bytecode wizardry where one would like to make that call with invokedynamic,
and being forced into doing so with an invokespecial to not break the verifier
rules is a big problem.

thanks for the support

Other than that having some support for intrinsic invocation counters on GWT
branches would probably be very helpful when creating polymorphic-inline caches.

One invalidation or periodic invalidation we could use those metrics to reorder
the GWT, and possibly prune old ones.

I am wondering about the performance loss if you do this with the current handles and store the counter in the callsite object. I mean with foldArguments and a void method you can make such an counter I think.

An open question that I have is that of facilitating the support of overloaded
methods. It's typically something dynamically-typed languages struggle with,
and doing it correctly *and* efficiently is not that pretty.

How would such support look like? A lookup with classes and the API matches that not exactly, but whatever is callable by Java rules?

bye Jochen

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc