That was quick! Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Ok, now we're cracking! Performance has definitely returned, and
actually improved 15-20% beyond my current copy of 8u40. Bravo!
I'd suggest to add pre-8u40 jdk into consideration as well. As part of LF sharing effort, I spent much time healing performance regressions caused by heavy bytecode sharing. So, it would be useful to compare fully customized (pre-8u40) vs heavily shared (8u40/9) implementations.

I will try testing several other benchmarks, and perhaps set up a
machine to do the big perf regression suite the JRuby+Truffle guys
made for us.
That would be great!

FWIW, the additional "Per" flags did not appear to help performance,
and actually seemd to degrade it almost back to where 8u40 lies.
It seems the hammer is too large then :-) Ignore them unless you see severe perf regression (that's usually how JDK-8074551 manifests itself). I'll let you know once I have a fix.

Best regards,
Vladimir Ivanov

- Charlie

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 7:06 AM, Vladimir Ivanov