So I did a bunch more testing, and this is what I found:

- The IntelliJ debugger ignores the “source” declaration in the class file and
instead always looks for a “.java” file in the source path
- The file must contain a java class declaration with the same name
- The file must be “recognized” by IntelliJ before the debugger stops, so you
can’t dynamically generate a bogus java file
- If the file is not present, the debugger will not show local variables
- The debugger seems to ignore local variable type declarations, so the
“Evaluate Expressions” window does not get type ahead (but works otherwise).

I might try adding a JSR-45 SMAP, but I don’t have high hopes based on
Charlie’s comments at the last summit.

Does anyone else have any ideas on things that might work?

-dain