> On Apr 24, 2015, at 2:17 PM, John Rose <john.r.r...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On Apr 24, 2015, at 5:38 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter <head...@headius.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey folks!
>>
>> I'm wondering how the performance of ClassValue looks on recent
>> OpenJDK 7 and 8 builds. JRuby 9000 will be Java 7+ only, so this is
>> one place I'd like to simplify our code a bit.
>>
>> I could measure myself, but I'm guessing some of you have already done
>> a lot of exploration or have benchmarks handy. So, what say you?
>
> I'm listening too.  We don't have any special optimizations for CVs,
> and I'm hoping the generic code is a good-enough start.

A while ago (wow; it’s more than a year already) I was working on:

[#JDK-8031043] ClassValue's backing map should have a smaller initial size -
Java Bug System <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8031043>

and we had a conversation about it:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/mlvm-dev/2014-January/005597.html
<http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/mlvm-dev/2014-January/005597.html>

It’s not about performance directly but it’s about memory usage and maybe the
one-value-per-class optimization John suggests is in fact a performance
improvement.  Someone should pick this one up.