The symptoms are really like a deoptimization storm,
setCallSiteTargetNormal goes to a safepoint (which is worst that only having
the compiler/JIT lock because all threads are stopped),
when either a code calls setTarget or a SwithPoint is invalidated.

You have a deopt storm when the JIT compiles a code that contains a callsite
that is always invalid, so the VM enters in loop like this,
JIT compile a blob
execute the blob
deopt
jump back in the interpreter
rinse and repeat

The root cause is a bug in the invalidation logic of the language runtime (not
the VM) but it's hard to spot without a reproducible test case because
when the JIT compiles a blob of codes there are several callsites inside that
blob and usually only one is the faulty one.

We already have discussed about that point several times,
John is a proponent of marking the callsite has should never be optimized
again,
which at least stop the storm issue but it sweeps the real cause of the bug
under carpet,
I would prefer, consider these kind of bugs as a language runtime bugs that
should be investigated by the runtime developers.

Perhaps a middle ground is to mark the callsite as not compilable anymore *and*
emit a warning (like when the code cache is full) to not hide the root cause of
the bug.

Rémi