I have compiled Mnemosyne from source on the Mac (though that was about
a year ago), and unfortunately it's not terribly straightforward.  At
the time, the qt3 libraries had a bug that caused them to refused to
load on Leopard.  I eventually found a fix, but it was rather time
consuming.

I would offer to help you more but I switched from the Mac.  If you were
really motivated, you might consider installing Ubuntu/VirtualBox and
using the Linux version through the virtual machine, which should be
much easier to get running.  (though it's quite a bit of work still,
unfortunately)

Cheers,
Patrick