Instead of guessing, let's find out -- it should be easy enough to wipe
browser state and test while connected through a computer running
WireShark. :)

The server's probably not configured to gzip .ico files by default, so
that's not a huge surprise, but would likely be an easy configuration tweak.

I kinda wish we could just replace the .ico with a .png but per the article
you linked there's some IE problems with that. We might double-check if
it's ok to serve a different favicon for mobile though, if we know desktop
IE won't be an issue...

-- brion