"Unless you find a use-case which you're addressing, don't code this please."
We coding this over a year ago on this basis but nothing has been done with it.
My question that I am wondering if we should explore the answer to is:
"Does showing the number of talk  topics on an article increase
engagement in discussions?" (Note evidence from many user tests that
have been run in the past 2 years give me the impression that many
non-editors are not aware there is a discussion side to Wikipedia)

"It is. There is no need to code things twice - as mobile interface is
merely a skin."

I'm not sure what you mean here. The mobile team has been thinking
about doing this, this doesn't mean Flow has been. I'm not sure what
skins have to do with anything here. Yes Flow could easily surface
such a number but the number would have to be generated and surfaced
somewhere since Flow is implemented completely differently.