On 10 August 2014 08:34, Monte Hurd <mh...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The existing app also has a flood of users based on name recognition
> alone. Although I suppose we could call it "Wikipedia Games"...

That's an idea worth exploring. Having a "Games" button in the left nav,
that when tapped launches the "Wikipedia Games" app which has a collection
of different games you can play. We know we have tons of people interacting
with the left nav, so there's no worries about discoverability. The app
would start a shell which contains many separate submodules, each of them a
game developed by a different group. On the user-facing end, it'd be a big
list of games that people could play to help Wikipedia! Our work would be
to create this shell. Then we can even make our own games to plug in to it!

There are benefits of this:

   - There will be less concerns about the games "bloating" the app. The
   main app will continue to be lean and lightweight.
   - It's a great framework for volunteers to build out games to be
   included in the official games app.
   - As we would have +2 in the repo for the app, we would still have
   quality control of what goes in the app.

This does not preclude us from incorporating one or two games, like the
Wikidata label thing that Mobile Web is doing, into the main app.

The question is, what is required from us to make this happen? I think it
would be worth us chatting briefly when we're all back from Wikimania to
define the minimal viable product for this, to assess how achievable it is
for us to work on it, and see where it fits into our priorities.

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Associate Product Manager, Mobile Apps