I've been digesting the new updates introduced in Android 5.0, and it looks
like there's at least one thing that we'll need to do relatively soon, if
we want to embrace the latest libraries and components.

In the new (v21) AppCompat library, it looks like they're gradually
deprecating the use of ActionBar, in favor of the more general "Toolbar".
Don't worry - the work we've done towards using a native ActionBar was not
in vain; there's a simple and straightforward migration path from ActionBar
to Toolbar.  Nevertheless, it might take ~2-3 story points to transition to
the new Toolbar, which I suggest we try to squeeze in during the next
couple sprints.

Visually it won't be much different, except for a three-dot overflow icon
(instead of three squares), and a slick new slide-out animation in the top
left corner (see attached screen-grab).
​​​
 device-2014-10-26-122152.mp4
<https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/file/d/0BzcksMsMNpY1dDJjOUlPWHIzNkU/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
The most (relatively) annoying thing is that the ActionBar in the v21
library no longer has a built-in ProgressBar, which we've been using
extensively, so, that'll take just a bit of restructuring.

All of this will allow us to start building the app with the new v21
library, and use the Material theme, and future-proof more of our code!

​
-Dmitry