Yeah, I think there are a lot of problems with the opt-in beta model. I
much prefer releasing new features to a small % of users, logging
events/usage, and if we suspect something has the potential to be
disruptive/offputting, letting them know the feature they're seeing is beta
and letting them turn it off.

That said, beta is still useful for sandboxing new features and in-person
user testing, so I don't think we should kill it altogether. I just think
we need to supplement it with a graduated release model – which we're
already doing with stuff like WikiGrok :)

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Sam Smith <samsm...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Have we thought about automatically opting people into beta mode e.g.
>> a sample of our users in a certain geographic region / certain zero
>> enabled area/ all users in a certain bucket based on their user id ?
>

> I like this idea. In fact, I'm for it, provided that we make it clear to
> the user that they've been entered into an experiment and they're seeing
> non-standard UI.
>
> How many users could beta actually handle?
>

> Not sure. But, interestingly, we can find out by bucketing users and
> slowly assigning them the beta variant.
>
> Is this technically possible?
>

> Yes. If we're generating and storing tokens on the client, which we do for
> anonymous users in other experiments, then we can enter anonymous users
> into the experiment at the cost of a little control over how tokens are
> stored.
>
> If someone was bucketed into beta would they be able to opt out into
>> stable again under any of the above situations?
>

> See my first inline response. We must make it clear to the user that
> they're seeing a variant of an experiment… and we must make it simple to
> opt out of the experiment.
>
> Also, all instrumentation for beta features will need to be augmented with
> a is_beta_opt_in flag.
>
> –Sam
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Jon Robson <jrob...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> One of the frustrations I have heard so far is that the audience there
>> is too small to get meaningful data around various experiments.
>> Currently people have to opt in by going to
>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:MobileOptions which is hidden
>> away in the mobile interface. They can do this whilst anonymous or
>> logged in.
>>
>> Have we thought about automatically opting people into beta mode e.g.
>> a sample of our users in a certain geographic region / certain zero
>> enabled area/ all users in a certain bucket based on their user id ?
>>
>> How many users could beta actually handle?
>> Is this technically possible?
>> If someone was bucketed into beta would they be able to opt out into
>> stable again under any of the above situations?
>>
>> Jon

Maryana Pinchuk
Product Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org