Greetings,

Thanks for your interest in the Android app!
Technically we do not yet officially support using the app with arbitrary
MediaWiki installations, which is why our documentation for doing this is a
bit lacking at the moment.  However, there's no reason it couldn't be done,
and it sounds like you're 90% there.

At a minimum, you would need to install the MobileFrontend extension:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend
(the above page also discusses how to get Nearby working)

...and the MobileApp extension:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileApp

It sounds like you've correctly modified Site.java to point to the IP
address of your installation (since you're able to log in from the app), so
installing the above extensions may be the only thing left to do.

Let us know if you have additional questions!
Best,

Dmitry Brant
Mobile Apps Team (Android)
Wikimedia Foundation