On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 1:04 AM, S Page <sp...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Maybe WMF should offer its own browser- or OS-level integration, pushing
> the reading experience way beyond our sites.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tools/Browser_tools lists various
> browser addons, such as Lookup companion for Wiki
> <https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lookup-companion-for-wiki/dhgpkiiipkgmckicafkhcihkcldbdeej?hl=en>
> that do this. Meanwhile
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tools#Searching has "Download
> 1-Click Answers Wikipedia Edition for Windows (beta) and then Alt-Click on
> any word in any program on your screen for instant, accurate facts." Who
> knew?!, makes me want to bust out Windows 2000 :)

A WMF-maintained self-contained javascript library to fetch Wikipedia
summaries / Wikidata descriptions / Wikitionary translations (and maybe
even Commons images) for a given string and display them in a configurable
popup window would be awesome. That could then be used as a bookmarklet, in
browser extensions (most of those are written in JS so they just need a
trivial wrapper around the library), or in web pages as a functionality
provided by the site owner.