On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Corey Floyd <cfl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Definitely interesting… not too surprising that there has been a bump in
> mobile reading over that past few years - seeing as everyone's phone screens
> are twice as big as they were in 2012. Anecdotally, I am more likely to read
> on my phone now than I was a few years ago (I always used to reach for my
> iPad before I had an iPhone 6).
>
> When reviewing these stats, we should keep in mind the primary use case of
> Wikipedia - a reference. While it is true that some will read significant
> portions of a book or a blog posts on their phones, most people aren't
> looking to read a Wikipedia article from top-to-bottom. Some will read a
> section or 2, while many others will only need to ready the first paragraph
> to get the answer that they need.

I definitely think we need to test this assumption. I wonder if this
is something the QuickSurvey could be used to measure e.g. a simple
question "What are you here for?" (although results might get skewed
by quick lookups having no time to do a survey). I'm not sure it is.
Personally I read much more than the lead section (I tend to use
Google quick facts for those quick lookups).

Thoughts welcomed on how we could work this out.

> So even as the number of "long form readers" increases on mobile, that might
> not directly translate into more "full article Wikipedia readers" on mobile.
>
> I definitely believe we should continue improving our mobile reading
> experience - it will only become more important as these numbers increase,
> however we shouldn't draw to many conclusions from this article as the
> content being discussed is quite different.
>

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Tilman Bayer <tba...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>> Forwarding to the public list too.

Jon Robson
* http://jonrobson.me.uk