Hi Nemo,

As Gabriel notes, the Wiktionary endpoint is still very much experimental,
and is subject to change. One of the ongoing goals for the Android app is
to integrate more rich content into the browsing experience. One such
feature is to allow the user to highlight words in an article and see a
quick popup definition of the word from Wiktionary[1]. To facilitate this
action, we set up a RESTBase endpoint for fetching the desired term from
Wiktionary[2].

This feature is currently only available in the Wikipedia Beta app, and is
restricted only to English wiktionary. Further work on this endpoint will
depend on the level of user engagement with the feature, once it's rolled
out to the main Wikipedia app. So, once again, even though we're building
the endpoint with the hope that it would be used by other consumers besides
the Android app (and expanded to all languages), at the moment it's by no
means ready for general consumption.

We do have a wiki page[3] with some more details on the service endpoints
that are used by the apps, which you, as well as the Wiktionary community,
are welcome to comment on.

-Dmitry

[3]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Team/RESTBase_services_for_apps

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Gabriel Wicke <gwi...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Federico,
>
> as indicated by the classification as "experimental" [1], the
> definition end point [2] is at a very early point of its development.
> The mobile app team has added preliminary support for extracting
> definitions in the content service [3] using Parsoid's template
> metadata, and is using this end point to power a "define this word"
> feature in the next version of the Android app. You can preview the
> feature in the beta Android app when browsing English Wikipedia by
> selecting a word, and then hitting the 'definition' icon next to
> 'copy'.
>
> In this first iteration, only English Wiktionary is supported.
> Generalizing the service and API end point to provide definitions
> using more or all Wiktionaries will require more work and planning. In
> the next iteration, I would expect a focus on enabling collaborative
> definition and maintenance of extraction rules, as well as broader
> involvement of Wiktionary communities in the planning process. The
> timing for the next iteration depends partly on the mobile app team's
> priorities, so I will defer to the team to comment on this.
>
> To summarize: We are aiming to gradually develop this into a generally
> useful, stable and well-documented API entry point for word
> definitions. The experimental end point published right now is just
> the beginning, and you are very much invited to help shape the way
> forward.
>
> Gabriel
>
> [1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API_versioning#Experimental
> [2]:
> https://en.wiktionary.org/api/rest_v1/?doc#!/Page_content/get_page_definition_term
> [3]:
> https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-services-mobileapps/blob/master/lib/parseDefinition.js
>

> --
> Gabriel Wicke
> Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Dmitry Brant
Software Engineer / Product Owner (Android)
Wikimedia Foundation
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_mobile_engineering