Thanks both!  This clarifies a lot. I think the primary issue that editors
had raised and I had hoped to explore was popularity/importance v.
obscurity.

Specifically, there have been concerns that the results tilt towards more
popular articles (here
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Swjyfj59pkjfol7m> and here
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Sxy84nxinxqqld2i>), but it seems that
page traffic is not a variable.  Instead, what seems to be happening is
that the raw # of similar terms is being used, rather than the % of similar
terms.  This means that longer articles are favored.  Is that a fair
assessment?

-J