On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 2:07 PM, James Forrester
<jforres...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 11 May 2016 at 12:50, Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't it time to start moving to responsive mediawiki templates
>> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design), rather than having a
>> separate mobile interface/URL?
>>

>> For a practical example, see the BBC News website
>> (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news), which is the same website on all devices, it
>> just rescales the content/navigation/layout to suit the device. (Try
>> resizing your web browser on your computer to the size of a mobile web
>> browser to see what I mean.)

Since you brought up this example.... the BBC news site used to have a
mobile and desktop site... just like we did.

Eventually, they got their mobile site to a good state, removed the
desktop site and used the mobile site:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31966686

It's worth pointing out we are a smaller amount of volunteers with a
far more complex ecosystem (extensions) so it's likely to take us much
longer.