On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Jon Robson <jrob...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Certainly, I hear more often from people I talk to that one of their big
> gripes with the mobile site is inability to use find in page when sections
> are collapsed. I know at least 3 people who open all sections just to use
> this function. Maybe I'm missing something, but based on your results it
> seems we should be moving towards expanded sections by default as soon as
> possible. There certainly doesn't seem anything negative here. If not what
> would you suggest as next steps before doing that.
>
>> * Readers in the test group (sections expanded) tend to stay longer on the
>> page
> This seems like a good result to me.
>
> * Readers in the test group tend to spend more time reading, and less
> time navigating
>> Again this seems a good result for sections expanded. I'm not entirely
>> sure what you mean by less time navigating though - is this less navigating
>> to another page or to another section (the latter seems a given if sections
>> are already expanded)
See the aforementioned page on Meta for definitions, or the linked
Phabricator task for the nitty-gritty details including the exact
queries used. The posting here was basically just the TLDR of the
summary ;)

> * Readers in the test group tend to scroll more sections into view
> than readers in the control group open
>
> again this seems to be a good result.
>
> * Readers in the test group tend to stay shorter on the page than
> readers using the Android Wikipedia app (which offers a TOC for easier
> navigation, something not yet available in the mobile web test group)
>
> This doesn't seem like a fair comparison unless you compare readers outside
> the test group to the Android app and talk about the delta.
Again, see the Meta page for a discussion of limitations of this
comparisons. And I would say that the test condition was clearly still
more comparable to the Android app reading experience (because both
are showing the full content initially) than the control group.

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Tilman Bayer <tba...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 3:17 AM, Justin Ormont <justin.orm...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > The chosen metrics are interesting ones as the sensitivity is high for
>> > this
>> > experiment though they aren't inherently positive or negative, hence the
>> > mentioned ambiguity.
>> Yes, so as mentioned in the writeup, readers in the test group could
>> of course be spending more time on the page simply because they need
>> longer to navigate to the desired part. But the second result
>> addresses this particular concern.
>> > Do you track metrics which rather closely track user
>> > satisfaction? Perhaps a metric like distinct daily page views per user,
>> > or
>> > days active per week.
>> The experiment was designed to also measure the number of pages viewed
>> per browser session. Sadly, it turned out afterwards during data
>> analysis that that part of the instrumentation had been buggy
>> (different page views by the same reader in the same session were
>> sometimes in the sampled group, sometimes not), so we don't have this
>> data. We took a lesson from this and have since been testing other new
>> instrumentations more thoroughly before deployment.
>>

>> > Breaking down the metrics by page length
>> > (short/med/long) could give interesting results.
>> Yes, that's doable in principle, although it would require some extra
>> effort to join the EventLogging table with a list of page lengths. The
>> schema is here BTW in case you want to suggest concrete queries:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schema:MobileWebSectionUsage
>>

>> > The semi-collapsed sections mentioned by Joaquin Oltra Hernandez sounds
>> > quite useful. Perhaps the sections could be auto-collapsed or
>> > semi-collapsed
>> > for longer pages but short pages could remain fully expanded.
>> >
>> > --justin

>> --
>> Tilman Bayer
>> Senior Analyst